Saturday, March 31, 2012

For a special lady

Late last year my family faced a tough time when we nearly lost my grandmother. Aged 84, she suffered a ruptured aortic abdominal aneurism while interstate, and miraculously made it through surgery. Through prayer, rehab and a great fighting spirit she has recovered amazingly well. After many weeks of being cared for she has returned home, living alone, but with regular help from family and health carers. Praise be to Him.


A little welcome home gift was in order so late in the summer holidays I finished this lap quilt for her - with just the right amount of roses and prettiness. It's a quick, easy pattern - quilting pros may frown! - with no binding, but just front, back and lining sewn together then turned the right way through. The girls and I chose buttons from my maternal grandmother's button tin to quilt the layers together. Love special connections like these.




Grandma has 12 great grandchildren (my four being the only girls, and the only ones in Tassie!) and she does so love to see them, though not as often as we would like. Sadly, she's 3 and a half hours away but we love to visit every time we head north. The girls were so excited to see her after her having been so sick. It all actually happened in Melbourne, and all of her rehab, so the girls hadn't been able to see her till she got home to Tasmania. You can't mistake how special this visit was!


She's a gem, for sure. You would not believe the amount of knitting she's done for my girls alone over the years, never mind for my sisters and I. We are so blessed to have her. We love you Gaggy.

5 comments:

  1. Love the quilt. Love gaggy's too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Virginia,
    What a beautiful photo of Ursula and your girls.
    I didn't realise you were such a crafty person, well done.
    I find relaxation in my craft work as I'm sure do you.
    It's been some time since I checked out your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Love to you all,
    Aunty Jos x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt too. I am so grateful that you still have your Gaggy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Virginia and family,
    Just love looking at your blog. You have done an amazing amount of craft work, so pleased for you. Very relaxing too.
    Love to keep in touch with all your news and see the girls growing up.
    Keep up the good work.
    Much love to all,
    Aunty Jos xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Virginia,
    So proud of your achievements in the crafting department.
    I thoroughly enjoy time spending quilting, stitching etc.
    It's so relaxing, especially with a family it's an escape from the day to day routine.
    Love to hear all about your lovely family and ongoing happenings.
    Well done and love to you all.
    Aunty Jos xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete