Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Granny progress

Spring has officially begun? Well it seems winter has been extended here in Tassie - there was more snow on the mountain and surrounding hills this morning than I've seen for a while. Snow on Mt Wellington is a regular thing, but snow on the grassy, tree-lined hills towards Huonville means it's very cold!

And so working on my first crochet blanket has been no big ask. It's big enough to keep me nice and cosy while I'm making it even bigger. Today it covered the twins and I for story time which was part of the plan. I think up to another 10 rounds and I'll be happy. This view of the blanket gently draped over the bed, however, is misleading.


Now to be very honest with you. Let me show you what happens when I lay it out flat. Do you like the slightly fluted edge of the last few rounds? Well, people, I don't think a press is going to make it sit flat. 
I'm guessing that it's caused by a variation in my tension. It seems that so often when there's a problem on my sewing machine Mum and Dad say it's the tension that's causing the problem. Why is it always the tension?????

So I have two questions for those of you who can crochet with your eyes shut. Firstly, is this a common problem when doing a giant granny square? And is that the benefit of sewing little granny squares into a blanket to avoid a wonky, wobbly shape? My other question may not be so easy. How on earth do I keep the tension consistent and end up with a smooth, flat blanket?????? I hold the wool the same way all the time and try very hard to hook with the same tension on the wool.

Having said all that, I doubt I will often have my blanket laid out flat for all to see! Once it's folded on the end of a bed, or snuggled with on the sofa, the wavy edges won't really be noticed now, will they?

Oh, and please don't judge me on my wavy, fluted edges!
Here's hoping you're finding time to work on a project or two as well.

1 comment:

  1. Yes it's a common problem with large projects. One cause is faulty pattern instructions. Probably not the case with a granny afghan though. Accidentally wwitching to a larger crochet hook mid-afghan would introduce waves.
    You mentioned it's your first afghan - new crocheters often make tighter stitches at first, and gradually loosen up over time. Or if you haven't crocheted in many months, the first project you pick up is likely to have a few tension issues until you get warmed up and into a groove.
    Try holding some of your outer rows up next to the first rounds in the center, and you may be able to diagnose that the earlier stitches are a bit smaller. Alas, it doesn't take much difference at all when multiplied over that many rows.
    I believe even tension just comes over time. You might try a test or a warm-up by crocheting a quick 60" long scarf. Check to see that the scarf is the same width at both ends, or did it get wider from beginning to end.
    You are correct about sewing little granny squares - if some squares are small and others are large due to tension, when you sew them all together it forces the smaller squares to stretch a little and the larger squares to compress a little to line up. A disadvantage is that you'll have a lot more yarn ends to weave in than you do now, and you have to sew the squares together which is a step you don't have to worry about with your current project.
    Your use of color is fabulous.
    Keep on crocheting!

    ReplyDelete