Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Tintookie treasure

Here's another show and tell as part of Clare's Tuesday Treasures. This week I'm sharing my 1983 vintage Brownie uniform, complete with all it's badges earned over many years of Guiding. All were sewn on by hand by my mum. It's travelled with me from house to house, and I can't imagine parting with it anytime soon.

I can remember the doll's clothes I knitted with blue wool for the Knitting badge, the hosting of an afternoon tea for the Hostess badge and the gardening I did to earn the Gardening badge. The little bee below the pocket was the Thrift badge. To earn this badge I visited an elderly lady in our town with one of my Guide leaders. She showed me how to re-use freezer bags, use stale bread as the casing for little egg pies (which I often make for my girls!!) and knit with strips of bread bags (which I don't do!)

The little pink character on the right was the symbol for my group, the Tintookies. The double gold lines under him meant I was a sixer (senior member) of that group. Each week the pockets had to contain the following: paper, pencil, hanky, band aid, piece of string (?!?!?!?) and 40c (20c for subs and 20c for an emergency phone call)!

Tuesday nights at the hall on the edge of the Westbury sports oval were great. And now, two nights a week, I take my older girls to guides here in our town. It's a bit different to when I went, with no little brown pinnies, but the basic ideals and principles are the same - as is the level of fun, friendship and learning. They absolutely love it - it's worth every cent and effort getting them to and from.

Be sure to visit Clare and see the other treasures that are special to us. We all have them, don't we?

6 comments:

  1. Wow that's great you still have it and it looks in good nick too ! Thanks so much for showing us and playing along .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely reminder of those great days. I so wanted to join the Brownies when I was in primary school, but unfortunately, Dad wouldn't let me. I was so jealous of my friend who had a camping blanket/poncho with all the badges she had earned sewn onto it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely memories you have shared with us.... thanks....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW I remember my girls little brown uniform and hepling them sew the bagdes on.What a lovely treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just amazing that you still have this little uniform from your childhood. What a special treasure.
    (((HUGS))) Roz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have such fond memories of my Brownie days..how come you had such a prety pink outfit? Thought they were all the standard brown.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete