Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A treasure from Great

Well, dear readers, it's Tuesday again, so I thought I'd share something special with you today for Clare's Tuesday Treasures. Make sure you have a look at the loved belongings of everyone else who joins in - I know I love seeing such priceless things being treasured by others.

Now before you think I've been crocheting a new blanket into the wee hours I'll reveal that this is not my work. Firstly, I can only do one stitch and this little blanket is quite the sampler!

When I was about 18 or 19, my grandmother and I thought that it would be nice if her mother, my great grandmother, crocheted a little blanket for me to put away for 'later'. Great Granny jumped at the chance to get her hands busy, and so the boy/girl wool was purchased and work began. There were no immediate plans to start a family of course, but I was thinking ahead to such a time, I guess. Now at this time, Granny, affectionately known as Great, was about 91 or 92, and still a very keen crocheter. This is what she came up with - I'm sure I've counted at least a dozen different stitches running from one side to the other. Sadly, Great, otherwise known as Alice Victoria, passed away in 1995, aged 93, so this was no doubt among one of the last projects she finished.

To think I am now crocheting my own blanket, albeit a much simpler version, 15 years later! Maybe one day I'll be able to do some of the fancy stitches that Great Granny did. One thing for certain is that Great's blanket is not going anywhere.
x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely treasure - it's great that you have kept it....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia that is such a lovely story , how special is that gorgeous blanket . Thanks so much for showing us and playing along .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a practically identical crocheted blanket, albeit, not crocheted by my great grandmother, but by my mother, for me as a baby. It's now seen my little sister and both my children too. It's a fabulous thing to be able to pass something down, my daughter uses it occasionally for her 'babies' does the fact that their plastic matter? :-D Good luck with recreating your own x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virginia your stories are so beautiful - photos of our 4 little grandaughters a precious gift to view - your blog is so interesting and varied - you are a wonderful mother who fills every minute of every day with your children's interests at heart - very very proud of my eldest daughter - doesn't seem so long ago that you were the "little girl" in the pictures, along with your 3 sisters. All my love Mummy

    ReplyDelete