Thursday, October 28, 2010

Two little peasant tops

Well here's an achievement for little me - two sewing projects finished in two days. And what makes it such an exciting achievement, you might ask? Two more items of clothing sewn by Mummy without any need for a zip or button hole! Do I need be so fearful of such things? Please tell me that once I try and do it alone I'll wonder what all the fuss was about!


After seeing many little peasant tops and dresses in my blog travels, I've been wanting to make a couple (or maybe 4!) I considered trying a tutorial, buying a pattern online or just making one up when I found...........a neglected pattern in my plastic pattern box - Simplicity 5695. It's actually a pattern for little dresses but I just missed the gathered frill off the bottom to make a top.


I didn't have enough material for two complete tops but the different sleeves serve a very useful function!
The girls are happy they can both wear this floral as they just loved it. Everyone else is happy because they know that rubies are red so - pink sleeves Ruby, green Hannah. Mummy is happy cause she used up more scraps!

   

And the added bonus? It seems that with a pretty new flower top that 'sticks out like a dress' we are happy to wear our jeans.



But now there's a challenge. I have two older girls asking for a peasant top, but this is a size 2-4 pattern. Will I be able to make it in size 7 and 8 without ending up with some very wonky lines and shapes???? A job for another day.


In the meantime, Sarah and Alice have their own treat this weekend anyway. I'm taking them to the ballet at the Theatre Royal on Saturday night to see The Nutcracker. Dressing up with Mummy and being out late for a special night will keep them very happy, I think.

 Here's hoping you all have a lovely weekend too.

2 comments:

  1. The peasant tops are just gorgeous and I love that they have different colored sleeves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginni the tops look adorable on the girls. I love the different coloured sleeves, so very helpful for grandparents. My only complaint is not many front views in the photos. I want to see darling faces. They were still saved to my photos. Sarah and Alice will love the Nutcracker. I wish I was there just to watch their faces. Mummy will enjoy it too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete