Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Knit 1, Sew 1

Over the last week we celebrated my birthday, enjoyed our 3 minute chocolate cake and a weekend date night for Mummy and Daddy with dinner and a movie. It's Complicated had the whole cinema laughing very loud from beginning to end! Best comedy we had seen in a long time. Without family in our town we have found a babysitting club to be the best thing for people in our situation. All mothers, we are happy to sit for one another and be paid with time tokens that we then use for our own nights out. Such a blessing.

I spent some birthday money on wool for a scarf for Mummy using some very big needles. The box stitch pattern was in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine last year and I've been wanting to make it for months. Thankfully it's knitting up very quickly.



and a sewing book for me to create A-line dresses for the girls - Absolutely A-Line by Wendy Gratz. This was in my local book shop a couple of months ago. I thought about it for a while and discovered that I was thinking about it quite a bit so decided I obviously needed to have it. One pattern with lots of different variations - how versatile for four girls! Thankfully it was still in stock for my birthday shopping.


Sarah began sorting through my fabric chest on Sunday afternoon wanting to make a quilt for her dolls. She chose three fabrics, one of which was some very old calico from my teenage crafting years, and then changed her mind and decided on a cushion cover for her room. I cut the squares and she sewed them together on the machine - all I had to do was sit beside her and keep a couple of fingers holding the fabric straight as she fed it through. What a way to spend an afternoon!

Hopefully we might be able to finish it on the weekend. She wants to decorate the calico squares with buttons, beads and other nice things. For a little girl who has not quite turned 8 she is doing very well. A pity that it was folded and a little crushed before I took this photo :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment