Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Show and tell

And now to share some of what we have been making over summer.



Knitting with a pattern is something I don't do alone. I need my mother, or knitting-grandmother extraordinaire, sitting right beside me to take me through the pattern. Anything in plain or purl and that looks like a scarf I can manage! I would like to venture into something more involved this year, but will need grandma's phone number on speed dial. I knitted this scarf for Sarah (that way it will be ready for day 1 of the cold!!) while enjoying the Australian Open, with wool bought for basic blanket squares years ago. She chose the buttons from my Nan's button tin I inherited. I love the tin and the collection of old buttons is gorgeous. I suggested little pink buttons from my craft stash but Sarah had her heart set on these gold ones of Nan's. Makes it all the more special I think.



While I was knitting Sarah asked to start a new project of her own. So we cast on 10 stitches and she set out to knit a scarf for her Tom Kitten toy. Beatrix Potter is a favourite of all my girls - there is no sign of Sarah growing tired of the Roly Poly Pudding or Jemima Puddleduck. They can recite sections of The Tale of Peter Rabbit with no effort! This week she finished it off, and with a 1940s press stud handed down to me from my Nan, and a Spotlight button, it was done. Rather cute I thought. She now has a pink one underway for her toy Mittens.



I recently spent Christmas money buying two books by Amanda Soule of Soulemama. They got me thinking of so many activities and projects for us to take on. Sarah has just started writing to penpals in America so I made her this lined fabric envelope for her letters, the pattern coming from The Handmade Home. That sweet fabric was purchased from Retro Mummy. Rarely have I seen such detailed fabrics in stores such as Spotlight. Buying on-line is also much easier than going to Spotlight in the city with two 3 year olds in tow! We have plans for a matching letter writing wallet, fitted out with felt pockets for her stamps, stationery and photos or bookmarks she wants to send away. A job for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment