Friday, June 11, 2010

My new things

This week the girls and I headed north to spend a few days with family for the school holidays. We had to leave Daddy at home as he had a few commitments and meetings for work (yes, teachers do need to work in their holidays!!!!)

The girls had a ball with all the animals at my parents' place and went for a walk to the creek in the bottom paddock with Dad (and 3 dogs with a very fat, old sheep in tow). They ate way too much food at Mum and Dad's cafe (I am very grateful for the family discount!) and loved the rather large, 1980 collection of lego that Mum has kept for such visits. We spent time with my grandmother and aunty (coffee, stories and more lego) and Sarah was able to have a little knitting workshop with her great Grandma. Very sweet.

Just before I went away, a well-travelled parcel arrived, covered in British stamps and lots of labels. It had to be my apron, and so with much excitement, the girls helped me unwrap it and we set it to work - helping me cook dinner for a lovely evening spent with visitors, including four of their five children. Eight children having lots of fun and four adults loving the chance to catch up. Good times. Thank you so much for the apron, Viv - I know you put lots of love into it and your card was just lovely.


While I was in Burnie I finished the box stitch scarf I've been working on. I am so pleased with it - it is just soooo warm and soft. I used Cleckheaton Countrywide - 100% wool and, although the label doesn't let on, Grandma said it's 12 ply. On 12 mm needles it knitted so quickly. I am going to spend the rest of winter wearing it, I think! I hope nobody minds.


My personal photographer, Sarah, did a wonderful job taking these photos for me. However, the stylist (me) didn't actually have the scarf sitting very well, now did I?


This one's better! I love this pattern so much. It came from a Better Homes and Gardens magazine last year, though they used much bigger needles and doubled yarn. I found I had to knit in four row intervals or I got lost, and chatting while knitting caused me to become confused a few times! But definitely worth sharing!

I used 12ply on 12 mm needles
Cast on 20 stitches

Row 1    K2 (P2, K2) x2  repeat
Row 2   (P2, K2) x2, P2  repeat
Row 3   P2 (K2, P2) x2   repeat
Row 4   (K2, P2) x2 K2  repeat
Repeat 4 row sequence till desired length

We are enjoying a long weekend here before school starts for Term 2 on Tuesday. I hope you can enjoy a lovely weekend, too. I am spending mine trying to stay warm. A maximum of 9 degrees in Hobart yesterday, 11 for today! Time for a hot drink, I think.

x

2 comments:

  1. Virginia I love your new apron! It suits you very much too. That's a lovely new scarf you've made as well. Lovely and soft looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Tess you did a great job taking photos of mummy's scarf so she could display it on her blog. You are becoming a budding photographer. Love Mama

    ReplyDelete