Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Finally, another treasure

Tuesday is a busy day here so this little post has struggled to make it onto my 'Tuesday list' for a few weeks now! I'm happy though to be sharing again as part of Clare's Tuesday Treasures - I do love seeing everyone's precious, special things. Nothing we can buy has the same value, I'm sure.

This week I'm sharing a gorgeous plate that sits on a shelf of my dresser hutch in the kitchen/dining room. Despite letting it get a little dusty, I do love it and it's definitely one of my precious things. I grew up with my grandmothers as a central part of my life. Many of their treasures are now mine and they hold many lovely memories. Grandma is, as we speak, knitting more wonderful treasures for my girls to wear - her creations are so special.


But this plate did not belong to my grandmothers. It has in fact only spent the last few years in Tasmania, having travelled south from Queensland's tropics after we got married. It belonged to my husband's paternal grandmother and quite remarkably, he remembers it being in her home. I never met my husband's Nanna as she passed away before we met, but the connection to this plate is therefore even stronger.

Quite a few treasures from the tropics have come to live at our house. My in-laws have carefully packed goodies in their suit cases and even asked Australia Post to deliver some safely to our door. They are truly special treasures. It is wonderful to have a collection of precious things from both sides of our family. Already our girls enjoy having these family treasures dotted around. Thanks goes to my in-laws who have entrusted them to us!

3 comments:

  1. What a special treasure , the dish is very pretty and with the history of it that makes it so much more special , thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely plate - it's the sort of thing I love too.... so nice you have special things from both sides of the family.... Hugz
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia , a lovely post and a lovely treasure !
    Thanks for playing along .

    ReplyDelete