Friday, August 27, 2010

Dorothy and Goldilocks

For weeks now, the characters for this year's Book Week have been chosen and planned - fabric bought, props chosen, styling decided on. Since seeing The Wizard of Oz at the Theatre Royal over Easter, Sarah was set on being Dorothy. Alice was keen to be a cute Goldilocks, her costume being copied from a favourite version of the well known tale. 

And so it was that I started sewing on Tuesday afternoon, just in time for Thursday's Book Week assembly. I'd spent the morning at Bible study, the twins and I had lunch and then I started cutting in to lots of blue gingham. To earn this little sewing session, I had to have empty dirty washing baskets and everything was to be on the line drying. After two evening sessions of sewing, the girls had their costumes finished and ready for one of their favourite days of the school calendar.




I didn't have a pattern for either the dress or apron so it was a case of trial and error and being a little creative here and there. (ie Sarah's bib has no button holes - the straps are sewn as in the apron and the buttons are 'for looks'!) One day I will overcome my fears and learn to make button holes. Alice's apron was a little big and the bib too wide but Thursday morning was too late to do anything about it! At least she can wear it for some baking for the next few years.

For the first time I did rag curls and thankfully they came out well. I followed a tutorial from Mel using freezer bags and it was easy. Having said that, the last batch of curls I tied were better than the first few. I think Sarah wants to try it for a bit of fun one day soon, so they should get even better!

Now the weekend is here: one girl to a birthday party, a Saturday night spent babysitting for a family in our club and Sunday morning church. Hopefully some early spring cleaning and tidying, a walk with Jack our four legged mate and a little resting too.

Have a lovely weekend, hopefully with a rest here and there.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment