Saturday, December 4, 2010

A little Christmas trimming

How's your weekend been going? We've had a very relaxing, but productive girls' weekend here. Daddy had a trip to Melbourne as his Christmas present to see a rather successful Irish band in concert. You don't get many chances to see U2 live, I guess. He's had the weekend catching up with my sister and brother-in-law. We're looking forward to him coming home, though.


There've been extra decorations made for the tree: lots of recycled card chains, lanterns and angels. Last year, Sarah made this gorgeous little calico Christmas tree, hand sewn and without any help from me. I actually wouldn't mind a few more!
,

There have also been questions this year (for the first time) from the twins about the Christmas stockings: 'Are you going to make one for us, Mummy?' Despite my good intentions at the start of the year, the twins' stockings have not been made. To make up for such slackness, I do have Christmas fabric versions cut out and ready to sew for this year. With a little letter embroidery, ribbons and bows that will have to do for 2010. Their Shepherds bush stockings will definitely be up for Christmas '11! (NB I made these while pregnant with said twins!)


Each year, the girls get so much pleasure out of our little nativity scene. It came from Koorong bookshop when Sarah was just little - I'm so pleased I bought it when I did, as the girls have always had it to enjoy.  It hasn't always been down low on the TV cabinet, though!


Despite loving the ceramic version, I just had to show you what Alice made yesterday. She came up with her own craft idea with our large supply of old Christmas cards. How cute are those wise men, celebrating with such joy on their faces?


After seeing so much of it around blog land, I made our first bunting yesterday. Last year's January Christmas fabric purchase came in handy. Add red bias binding I inherited from my Nan and it was done. Great photo of my ceiling, don't you think? Photographing a whole length of bunting is tricky, it turns out. Now I don't have a pinking shear-shaped rotary cutter (but I would like one!), so I cut them straight with the rotary, and Sarah used Nan's pinking shears on the edges. Then she pinned two matching triangles together for Mummy to sew. She had so much fun! Now the entire floor area of our house is covered with minute threads and triangles. :)


The production line of Christmas lanterns has been going strong, too. This brings back so many memories of my childhood and Sunday school years, making these by the dozen. They are a great reminder to us of the gift of Jesus and his purpose here on earth:
John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life".
John 12:46 "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness".


I'll be back soon with photos of some gifts we've been making. Sarah has even been busy this afternoon, coming up with a very sweet birthday present for a little friend.

Till then, have a lovely day.

1 comment:

  1. Once again have enjoyed reading your blog - do you have more hours in your day than I do??? I have 24hrs - how many do you have Virginia?? Great to see the girls handiwork adorning your house - christmas decorations look lovely - making chinese lanterns brings back many happy memories of you, along with your sisters, making these- love the little bags you have made for teachers etc - very useful.
    Thanks Virginia
    Mummy

    ReplyDelete