Monday, January 23, 2012

Little grannies in a row


What is one to do when you have a lovely house guest in your spare/sewing room and it's time to sit back and enjoy the Australian Open tennis? If you're anything like me, you start a new sofa project so you can settle in for the evening and enjoy being productive in the lounge room. We won't comment on whether there were half-done sofa craft projects I could have pulled out of the cupboard. Fresh is best, is it not? - fruit, flowers, sheets and ..... craft?

You might remember my foray into the world of crochet 18 months ago - funny dolly hats that should have been hats for toddlers. I did however finish a big granny square blanket that is in constant use. So I thought it was time to maybe try doing some little granny squares - so many in blogland talk about how lovely it is to have piles of colourful squares stacked up. So I went to Attic 24 and Lucy helped me out with one of her straightforward tutorials. Her cute little Summer Garden Grannies looking like little flowers peeking out. Raided the 'Mummy wool draw' and came up with some pretty colour combos. I just have to go shopping for more now. )))))


I tend to worry a little for their slightly rounded shape but I've done my research and they often look like this when they're all on their own. Even from better crocheters than me. One day, in years to come, I'll learn how to crochet them together for a little dolly blanket. Or maybe it will be a bit bigger!


In the meantime, I'll begin another little flower and surround it with some rounds of prettiness. And I'll continue enjoying some tennis at the same time.

Happy days for you too.

4 comments:

  1. I'm really loving the colour combination with your squares - they're looking fabulous. It is easy peasy to crochet those together as you go - I learnt from here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90733686@N00/sets/72157617721257414/with/3471061468/
    I just finished a pillow using this method - it's for my sister's birthday mid Feb, so I can't share it on my blog just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel, I'll check it out. Looking forward to seeing yours. I don't doubt that you managed to work out how to do it!!!! There is another problem though regarding the progress of these squares. I'll show you on here maybe tomorrow but let's just say I'm experimenting and you are partly responsible! My foundation chain only got to 220 though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pretty squares, your colours are so delicate. I'm an absolute novice and feel I've discovered something so wonderful! Off to read your other posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing quite like having two (or three or four) crochet projects on the go at once! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete