Thursday, January 12, 2012

Loving Summer sewing

Maybe it's the feeling of a new, fresh year that inspires. Maybe it's the pleasure of indulging in my favourite things after the busy-ness of getting ready for Christmas. It's quite likely that it's all about school holidays - the desire, time and opportunity to get lots of craft and gardening done.

Today was all about getting out the machine and a WIP from last year. I'm determined to get it done, and soon. It's a great project to use up the scrap heap and the kids just love seeing all the fabric strips and remembering where they all come from and what they were used for.


I came upon this string pieced quilt pattern in blog land about 12 months ago and knew I'd have fun with all the colour and the chance to use up lots of leftovers.



I found a tutorial on a string quilt over at loft creations and set to cutting oodles of strips from the scrap stash. Then I bought myself a white sheridan sheet for a few dollars at the op-shop for the squares that the strips are sewn onto.


This is the progress to date. Sadly, each time I get it out, I iron the strips, make a few squares and then it gets packed away.... too well packed away because I forget about it and get busy with other things. Sound familiar?


But, with weeks of holidays still ahead, it's not going to happen this time. It will, at least, be a completed quilt top in the very near future. At the moment, I'm aiming for 14 more squares, and then I'll see if I'm done with it or not.

Hope you're finding a little time for the things that make you smile.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment