Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ooopppss!

Just popping in to give you an update on my granny square progress. So here is the basket with the current square on top - just to the right of the photo below. But I'm afraid that progress has stalled. Why, you ask??? Run out of wool, time, crafting energy??? Um, no. None of the above.


What is all this stripy-ness, you ask? Well I could deny that it's mine. Refuse to acknowledge it, or speak of it. I could even hide it away and not share. But it's too exciting not to. Meet my first granny stripe blanket. Something I've been wanting to try for a while.


After mastering my little granny squares, I thought to myself: 'I wonder if I can now manage a foundation chain and hook into eeeevvvveerrrryyyy chain stitch to start a granny stripe?'. Something I'd been rather afraid of. Many others have spoken of the tiresome foundation chain. But, while watching a good night of tennis, I tried it. And managed to survive. Thanks only to Lucy at the very colourful attic24! And inspired by Mel at one crafty mumma - she finished her granny stripe for her son recently. Wonderfully big and beautiful.


And now I can't quite put it down. Not easily anyway. Certainly not to do any more squares. 'Just one more stripe', 'start the next colour', 'make it halfway along' -  it's very addictive. I think it's the repetition - soothing and requiring little thinking.

This hooky thing is proving just the thing to keep me in the holiday mood. I'm enjoying it while I can!

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, you've already done so much!! It's looking wonderful and snuggle - love it.

    ReplyDelete