Thursday, May 13, 2010

A little gift creating

Handmade gifts have been a regular thing around here of late. Last week I spent some time gift creating to clear some fabric from my overflowing chest (ie. the lid won't shut unless my mother is here to re-fold and organise it - she does it so well!) and came up with presents for two mothers and one little sister. 

After making a few purchases to go with the handmade goodies (plus some arty, crafty creations from all the girls) I came up with three gifts that ticked the important boxes - used up some fabric, saved some money, gave something personal and just a little different and had mummy sewing something other than hems of school trousers!

A recent report from my sister in Melbourne says that her birthday parcel has arrived safely. She has been doing lots of kitchen experimenting lately - working her way through cookbook after cookbook it seems. Working very long days all week, she seems to spend half the weekend cooking. That, plus the need for some decent wooden spoons in her kitchen, meant that a cute apron and a set of wooden spoons was in order.




I had a pattern (circa 1977!) from a clean out of Mum's sewing box and wanted to try it out. Also, aprons are being made from all corners of the globe this month for Sarah's apron swap at Red Gingham.  I wanted to have a play with aprons before I made and sent one to my partner Viv in the UK at Pooh's Abode. (I had a back up plan for Lib's present if the apron didn't work!) The pattern worked well, and with a little frill of fabric from my late grandmother's stash, I had a cute and colourful apron for my sister. I bought the main fabric from the gorgeous range on offer at retro mummy. Thanks, Corrie.




Sarah was good enough to take this photo of the completed apron before we wrapped it. It felt a little long on me, but my sister is quite a bit taller so hopefully it will suit her better. Now she has a pretty apron and all the sizes of wooden spoons she'll ever need. Her fancy red Kenwood mixer, that I happily used at Christmas time, is great, but you have to have a good wooden spoon! Hope you had a happy birthday, Lib.

No comments:

Post a Comment