Sunday, May 9, 2010

Busy bees and many beans


A mid-autumn blogging break has come to an end - I've finally got myself back on track with my blog and plan to be a lot more regular. There is so much going on - cooking, gardening, sewing and busy little girls - that I could be sharing so much more! Many days have passed where I've wanted to post and then I don't have a suitable photo, they're not uploaded to the computer or I just run out of time and energy!!! I'm sure you all know how it is!! Every day is so full with important things to be done that this little outlet of Mummy's is put at the bottom of the list. Maybe I need to try the 'little and often' approach - I've always been known to enjoy my words (!!!!), but I shall try to cut back on the writing and share more often.

A weekend away (more on that later) and the start of a new week always motivates me and helps me re-focus on what I need (and want) to do each day. This morning: housework (plus lots of washing) and the veggie garden. My father-in-law planted out all of these veggies while here in February - they have done so well - lots of harvesting to be done!!! 

Back - runner beans, hiding in the middle - broad beans (apparently Daddy will NOT eat them!) and a very healthy crop of celery at the front. Many stalks have gone in many stir fries, soups and stews already.

This is my second attempt at growing beans from seed - the first lot must had too much water and rotted - they haven't been seen since! This crop has been very successful. The beans took a while to come but the wait was certainly worth it. All the girls have been eating them - Hannah and Ruby will even eat three pieces with their dinner. There's even enough to take to school for the girls' teachers.



Some very healthy celery - although the slugs have left little holes down many of the stalks. How to keep them away? Do I have to use snail pellets or is there another trick?


Ever since the girls were born silverbeet has been a constant veggie in the garden (apart from the season or two after Hannah and Ruby were born!!! - not much gardening got done there for a while) It is just so versatile - whether shredded for a stir fry, soup, stew, lasagne, canneloni, or just steamed with a mix of other veggies. The girls all had it pureed with potato and pumpkin when they started solids (the only bottled food I bought was custard for when we went out - they didn't like anything else!)

But, alas, the snails and slugs love it too. Do I not worry about a few holes or aim to rid the hungry creatures from my patch? Let me know what you think.

School pickup and swimming lessons await. 

Till next time, have fun in your patch, whatever type of patch it may be. x

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog as usual Ginni. Well done. john loves the vege patch photos. It has been too wet up here to plant anything yet. It will have to wait until our return from Canada. Keep up the good work.
    Love Bev and John

    ReplyDelete